Monday, March 29, 2010

Lacy Choker For Easter or Bridesmaid

 


Here's a pattern for anyone who has a bit of experience with crochet thread to make someone special for Easter or to make and give to her bridesmaids as a nice gift.  Of course it can be made in any color, with or without beads.  The pattern includes bead placement.   If desired, a larger glass tear drop bead would be pretty in place of the crocheted flower that the photo shows.

See where I screwed up on the right?  I didn't follow my own pattern!  And I'm too lazy to fix it so (derrr) I started another choker for two reasons - to test pattern, and to have one to sell (hopefully).  I'll post photos of the new on here asap.

Lacy Beaded Choker 
(For Easter or bridesmaids, etc)

Pattern is free and can be distributed at will by using the link to this page only, and of course you may do anything you like with the project you create using this pattern.

Materials:
  •  size 10 crochet thread, in color of your choice
  • steel crochet hook, size 7
  • 30 small pearl beads or small glass beads that thread fits inside, (you'll be using less than thirty beads but stringing a few extra is always a good idea just in case)
  • Jewelry clasp ,
  • or hook & eye from your sewing notions,
  • or  1/4" or 1/8" ribbon long enough to tie in a bow with a little left over



Abbreviations:
ch = chain stitch
sl st = slip stitch
sc = single crochet
dc = double crochet
sk = skip
rem = remaining
beg = beginning

Special stitches:  (Updated 3/31/14 to better explain beaded stitches)

bead ch = For a beaded chain stitch: begin to make your chain stitch. Before you pull the thread through the loop to complete the chain, slide a bead up to the hook and then complete your stitch.






If your beads appear on the wrong side of your work, no worries, just pop them through the stitch to the other side.

 (For future reference:)
For a beaded single crochet it's pretty much the same except you slide the bead up during the process of the yarn over and then you complete the stitch as normal.
For a beaded double crochet, you would slide the bead up in the last movement of the stitch (unless otherwise indicated) which places the bead at the top of the dc. (Same goes for a triple crochet and so on)
 (End of update, thank  you Barb for asking a great question)

picot = ch 3, sl st in third ch from hook


Beaded Lace Choker / Necklace For Easter

(If you need this to be longer for a larger neck, you may add ch to beg in sets of five - for instance, if you need the choker to be one inch longer, add five ch to the starting chains)



Before starting work, string 30 small pearl beads onto size 10 crochet thread, color of your choice.  I used Aunt Lydia's orchid pink (photo doesn't do the colors justice, sorry) and for the blues and greens variegated I used Aunt Lydia's color Ocean.
Work loosely as to give the choker some elasticity for snug fit.

After stringing beads, ch 98 plus 4 (total 102 ch)  The last four ch count as the first dc plus one ch

Row 1:  dc in fifth ch from hook,  *1 bead ch, sk 1 ch, dc in next ch, ch 1, sk 1 ch, dc in next ch; repeat from * across
until 2 ch rem then ch 1, dc in last ch.  ch 1, turn.

Row 2:  sc in first dc, ch 3, sc in next dc, sc in ch 1 space, sc in next dc, ch 3, *sc in next dc, sc in next ch 1 space, sc in next dc, ch 3, sc in next dc; repeat from * across to end then fasten off, weave in ends.

Flower:
make bead ch, ch 1  (2 ch total including beaded ch)
sc around bead in first ch 6 times, join with sl st to beg sc   (6 sc around)
ch 1, (sc, dc, sc, sl st) all in first sc
(sl st, sc, dc, sc, sl st) all in next sc and in rem sc around  (6 petals made)
do not fasten off

Atach Flower, Make "Stem"
ch 2, bead ch, ch 2, bead ch
attach to middle of choker between two ch 3 spaces from row 2 (use sl st to attach)
sl st once more to one side of the last bead ch you made
ch 3, sl st in bead ch nearest flower (on "stem")
ch 3, sl st in first ch made following last stitch of flower
on back of work, sl st to opposite side of flower to finish 'stem' side
ch 3, sl st in bead ch, ch 3, sl st in last bead ch st; fasten off, weave in ends

Finishing touches
Attach with sl st to one side of "stem" to main choker  between the two ch 3 loops of row 2
ch 3, sl st into the first bead ch of "stem", ch 3 sl st into next bead ch of "stem"
sl st in back of work to other side, sl st into bead ch (closet to flower) ch 3, sl st into next bead ch (closest to choker)
ch 3, sl st into base of "stem"

sl st one side or the other into the middle st between two ch 3 loops to the side of the stem piece (see photo)
ch 6, sl st into base of stem at row 2,
sl st behind work to other side of stem piece, ch 6, sl st into st between next ch 3 loops on other side of stem piece.

ch 3, sl st into middle of ch 6 just made, ch 3, sl st into end of ch 6 just made (closest to stem) ch 3, sl st into second  bead ch of stem (closest to flower)
sl st behind work to other side, ch 3, sl st into base of ch 6 on same side, ch 3, sl st into middle of ch 6, ch 3, sl st into base of ch 6 (farthest from stem)

Fasten off, weave in ends.  If you want you can use the ends from row 1 (beginning) and row 2 (end fasten off) as a tie to close at nape of neck.  Or you can attach a hook and eye (sewing notions) or a jewelry clasp and ring on either end of choker.


If you have comments or questions, please write them in Comments below.  Thank you, have fun!  This took about an hour for me to make, with interruptions.  I am the only tester for this pattern so please let me know if you find errors.  Thank you!  Happy Easter!

copyright 2010 anitalite ;-)_

15 comments:

Belinda said...

Those are very pretty! Thanks for the pattern. I'll have to try it soon.

Cynthia said...

Please let me know if you have troubles with the pattern. One person has an issue with a part of the pattern that I cannot for the life of me figure out - I made several of these following the pattern and they came out the same each time. Does anyone else have a problem? Please let me know thank you !
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

LOVE THE PATTERN AND LOVE READING THE BLOG.

Anonymous said...

I love these they are sooo pretty you can barley barley tell that you messed up it kind of gives character!!! Not only that I'm so anal when I make anything if I mess up even one stitch or any crafting thing I'm making I'll start all over again!!! I learned when you make anything by hand little tiny mistakes is what makes it home/hand made were not machines with people picking out the slightly messed up one's and that's what makes it more unique and and deffanetly hand made!!!!! I had to come to terms with that however if it's really bad I will fix it for sure!!!! I just thought your blog was cute and it made me think of how I am!!!

G S Iyer said...

It looks just great, the pendant that you've done looks really cute. Wish i can do it for my grand daughter !

HJC Editor said...

Your tutorial is an awesome inspiration! Many thanks for sharing. I would like to feature your designs at http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/

Contact me here if you have a concern.

Jane
http://diylessons.org/

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I lovе ωhat you guуs агe usuаllу uρ too.
Thіѕ tуpe οf cleνeг woгk and reporting!
Kеeρ up thе νеrу good works guyѕ I've added you guys to blogroll.

My web blog :: sakuras-tausend-traeume.blogspot.co.uk
my website - http://thesoulfactory.com/

Anonymous said...

Му spouse and I stumblеԁ оver here different
website and thought I may as wеll check thіngs
out. I likе what I see so nοw і am fοllowing you.

Look foгwarԁ to findіng out about your wеb pаge fοr а sеcond time.


Also visit mу blog post ... V2 Cigs Assist Me Really feel Extra Wholesome When I Get started Smoking

Anonymous said...

I was able to find good advice from уοur content.


Also visit my website simply click the up coming site

Anonymous said...

With havіn sο much cоntent and агtіcleѕ
dο you ever run into any iѕѕuеs
of plagoriѕm oг coрyrіght infгingement?

My wеbsіtе has а lot of
comрlеtelу unique cοntent I've either created myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement. Do you know any methods to help protect against content from being stolen? I'd genuinelу
aρprecіаte іt.

My wеbpagе: V2 cigs review

Anonymous said...

Hey! I realize this is kinԁ οf off-topic but I needed tο ask.
Doеs managing а well-еstablished blog ѕuch as yours
rеquiгe a lot of work? I am complеtely nеw to runnіng a blog but I do
wrіte in my journal еverуday. I'd like to start a blog so I can share my own experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any kind of ideas or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!

Review my homepage :: please click the up coming article

Anonymous said...

Hey I am ѕo thrillеd I found youг wеbpаge, I really found уou by accidеnt,
while I waѕ broωѕing on Bing foг something else,
Anyhow I am hеге now and ωould just like to say
thank you for a marvеlоus рoѕt
and a all round thrillіng blog (I аlѕo lovе the themе/ԁeѕіgn),
ӏ don’t have time tο read thгough іt all аt the mοment but I have bοokmarked it аnd alѕo addеԁ yоuг RSS feeԁs, ѕo when І have
time I will be baсκ to read a grеat deal
more, Please ԁo keep up the ехсellent jo.


Lοοκ іnto my page - www.ericneill.com

Annah said...

Hi, I came upon this pattern and would love to try it, though I am not sure how to get it started. I have the 30 beads on the thread, but am unsure how to incorporate that into the first row.

Do I have the beads on a separate thread and then crochet the 102 chains? I am lost before I can even begin.

Can you help?

Barb

Cynthia said...

Hi Barb,

I'm sorry, I can see that I need to explain in more detail how to add a bead to a stitch, I'll update the post as well as explain here, I hope this helps...
First of all, you work with the beads on the thread you are crocheting with, not a different one. It's not as difficult as you think, let me see if I can help you.

For a beaded chain stitch: begin to make your chain stitch. Before you pull the thread through the loop to complete the chain, slide a bead up to the hook and then complete your stitch.

For a beaded single crochet it's pretty much the same except you slide the bead up during the process of the yarn over and then you complete the stitch as normal.

If you find this pattern or another one requires a beaded double crochet, you would slide the bead up in the last movement of the stitch (unless otherwise indicated) which places the bead at the top of the dc. (Same goes for a triple crochet and so on)

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, Good luck with your project and let me know how it turns out.

~ Cynthia