Saturday, February 27, 2010

Heart Ornament - Free Pattern






I started out using the granny heart pattern by decafgreentea on Ravelry** which can be found for free, here

With a size 7 steel crochet hook and some red bedspread-weight cotton crochet thread, I made the first two rounds as the pattern goes. 
when the pattern calls to change color, I attached white, did the next round...

Wanting the heart to be more lacy to go with my other ornaments, I chose not to do the fourth round in that original pattern.

Here's what I did instead:

(Instead of changing color, stay with white and)
 
 sl st to the ch 3 space at top and left of heart. 

*(ch 3, sc in space) twice. 

 (ch 3, sc in next sc) 8 times
(you'll be about midway to point of heart)

(ch 3 sk 1 sc, sc in next sc) 4 times

ch 3, dc in point of heart, picot (ch 3, sl st in first chain), sl st in same dc, dc in same sc as first dc,

(ch 3 sk 1 sc) 4 times

(ch 3 sc in next sc) 8 times

ch 3 sl st in V of heart (top) and then sl st to join to last sl st in beg of this round.

fasten off and weave in all ends.

After this round the heart will measure approximately 2" X 2".


I looped red satin ribbon (1/8") through the space in the dip in top of the heart, tied a tiny bow, and instead of letting the ends hang down (which took away from the heart itself) I tied the ends in one slip knot above the heart for a loop to hang on my tree this year.
(I can't wait for Christmas.  Our tree is going to be even more beautiful than it was last year!)

I may try adding one more round (or two?) to make it a bit bigger but it's very cute as it stands at 2".

Note:  If I need to make corrections to this let me know, I'm not very experienced with writing patterns and I'm horrible telling people how to do something.  lol.

** Ravelry is a wonderful site that unites knitters and crocheters (some call us "hookers" - tools of the trade, lol) in a close knit (trying to be punny) community that offers solutions to your yarn obsessions (knit it! crochet it!) and a multitude of awesome free patterns, groups that cater to a specific interest or need, designers, tipsters, forums, and a way for you to easily (I MEAN EASILY!) post your own yarn creations, keep track of your progress in a project, save favorites to your own file so you can get back to them after you've gotten through the fifty projects you already have going, interaction with a lot of really cool people (NOT just ladies, men too.)  There are female, male, teenage kids, elderly, middle age, you get the idea.  There are over 2500 members online at any one given time and there are over 10, 000 members in all!    That makes for a lot of people to meet, patterns to download and try, projects to discuss, designers to get to know, and friends to make who share the same intersts as you do. 
If you haven't checked it out already I strongly suggest you do.  Someone spent a lot of time making sure this site is extremely user friendly! 
There's so much at Ravelry that is awesome, helpful and beautiful, I can't get it all down here so you'll just have to see for yourself.  (smile)  Go Here

11 comments:

Cathy P. said...

I think it's cute. It looks fun to make. A bunch of these on a string would make pretty decorations for Valentine's Day or a birthday and Christmas... Except I'm Jewish. Sorta. LOL.
You have some very pretty things here. And your puppy is so cute, I miss mine very much. Thanks for the links and patterns!

Theo Trollbeads said...

The availability of air and electrical outlets to the masses have triggered a wave of stupidity at damn near every holiday on the calendar.In the past, the garden gnome or a statue of the Madonna would find a home nestled among some begonias or a fern. The gnomes are gettin' pissed, y'all. (the Madonna doesn't get pissed...) They're getting sick of being squeezed out of their little happy homes by overbearing snow globes full of hot air and resin frogs.
I think.

AnitaLite said...

@ Theo Trailbeads: That is quite a comment, thank you.

@ Cathy P. Thank you very much for your ideas, and you're welcome, for pattern links and my own free patterns. They are harder to put together than I first thought so it'll take some time to get more up here but I'm working on it. I tend to get lazy and not write things down as I go along and when it's all done I realize I can't for the life of me figure out all I did with my crocheting to write a pattern for it. lol

Elisa said...

Your designs are all very beautiful. Thank you for sharing them :)

Anonymous said...

thank you for the beautiful heart design, I have a sister who was born on V's day and I always try to make her something home made. And this is a really great gift to give
Thank you for sharing it is really great of you to do it
Tannis

Anonymous said...

This is such a cute ornament, thanks for sharing it with us. I think I will try it and give them as gifts to my friends. I know they will love them. I seen your website from Crochet Me. ":)
Susan

Cynthia said...

You're very welcome! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for finally talking about > "Heart Ornament - Free Pattern" < Loved it!
Here is my web page ... Work from home

Anonymous said...

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but
your sites really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later. Cheers
Stop by my page ; erinmore

Anonymous said...

What's Going down i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I
have found It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads.

I am hoping to contribute & aid different customers like its aided me.
Good job.
My webpage : try to

Anonymous said...

I love reading through a post that can make
men and women think. Also, thanks for allowing for me to comment!
Here is my homepage ... university of alabama school of medicine smep