Thursday, July 5, 2012

Crochet Pattern: Snapdragon Bag

Free Crochet Pattern:

Snapdragon Bag
by Cynthia J Luciene aka anitalite copyright July 5, 2012
Please link to this page to distribute this pattern.  It may not be sold by you, however,  you may sell whatever you make using this pattern.



With worsted weight yarn and a "J" size hook, ch 32
Round 1:  sc in 3rd ch from hook and in each ch across, making a total of 5 sc in end ch, turn clockwise and working in the unused loops of beginning chs, sc in each ch across, work 4 sc in end ch and sl st to 1st sc to join. (38 sc total)
Round 2: ch 1, sc in each sc up to last two sc on same side.  2 sc in next-to-last and end sc (middle sc of 5 sc group from prev round) then still working in the round, sc in rem sc to last two.  2 sc in next-to-last and 2 sc in end sc as mentioned prev. sl st to 1st sc to join. (42 sc)
Rounds 3 and on:  Continue same as Round 2 until there are 80 sc all the way around once.
(Continue to work in the round for the following rows:)
Round 6:  ch 5, dc in same st as ch 3 (beg v-stitch made), *skip 2 st. 5 dc in next st (shell made), skip 2 st, v-stitch in next st; repeat from * around until last v-stitch then skip 2 st, shell in next, join to top of ch 3 with sl st to join.
Round 7:  sl st into next ch 2 space (middle of v-st), ch 3, 4 dc in same ch 2 sp (beg shell made), *v-stitch in middle dc of next shell, shell in next v-st - continue around from * until last shell then v-st in middle dc of next shell, join with sl st to top of beg ch 3 to join.
Rounds 8 and on:
Continue following stitch pattern in order Rounds 6 and 7 until bag is desired size.  (For the bag shown, 10 rounds of the snapdragon stitch pattern were used.)
Fasten off, weave in ends. 

For Handles As Shown:
(Of course you can use any handle you prefer, I thought fancy cording would also work well with this bag, I just didn't happen to have any on hand.)

Attach (with a sl st leaving a long - 10 " tail) worsted weight yarn to either side where you'd like the handle to be placed.  ch 3, dc in same stitch as ch 3, ch 2, 2 dc in SAME stitch. turn.
Row 2: sl st to ch 2 sp, ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc in same ch2 sp; turn.
Rows 3 and on:  repeat row 2 until desired length is achieved.  If you want the open shells in the handle to all face upward instead of having one side of the handle with shell st up and then going down on the opposite side, just make your handle half as long as you really want it and then fasten off.  Attach to opposite side in the manner stated at the beginning of handle instructions and follow the directions from there.  When both sides of your handle are even just slip st together the ends that meet in the middle.  I used a longer tail than I normally do so I'd have plenty of yarn to weave in, assuring the handle won't pull apart with weight inside the bag as it's being used.

 Closure
I simply attached the worsted weight yarn to the middle-est stitch of the bag and made a ch long enough to go around an old vintage button I had from one of my mother's old coats.  Then I back-tracked on the ch with sc all the way to where I attached it.  I did use a bit extra of a tail here too, to ensure it wouldn't unravel with use.  This tail was about 10" long as well.  (Probably a bit overkill but better safe than sorry, right?)

Hope the directions are okay.  If you have any questions please comment below and I'll get back to you asap.  Thanks and have a wonderful day and fun making this bag.  I found it to work up quickly and the snapdragon stitch gives it a very fancy look without  being a complicated stitch pattern.  I am very happy with the results, are you?

God bless you and yours.  God bless America




7 comments:

Marsha said...

this looks great and i will try to do it soon thanks for shearing it

Cynthia said...

You're welcome Marsha! Have fun!

crochet_carol said...

I love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is a very cute bag and I'm in the process of making it, but the instructions are difficult to follow and now I'm not sure if I am doing it correctly. Thanks for sharing this, but I hope that you can re-type the instructions so they are more clear. Thanks, Denise

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm really going to enjoy making this bag, but I was wondering... could you tell me what you used to line it?
Thanks, Carol Joan

Cynthia said...

I simply laid the bag out on some material and cut around it, leaving about 5/8" for a seam allowance. Then I just sewed the three outer edges and slipped the lining (a polyester cotton blend in a contrast color) inside the bag and hand-sewed it around the top, with a bit of a hem in the top of course. I did add a snap closure to the lining. It is a bit difficult to operate though without causing the bag some distress and I wouldn't recommend putting a magnetic snap closure on it as I did. I hope this answered your question, if not please let me know how I can be of more help.

Rhelena said...

Hi,

I am the owner of crochetpatternbonanza(.)com, a free crochet pattern directory. Just wanted to let you know that I’m updating my website and wanted to make sure that I have your permission to use your images for linking back to your free crochet patterns and/or tutorials.

You can find more information on this page: http://crochetpatternbonanza.com/submit-your-links.html

Thank you so much for your time and let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Rhelena