Monday, December 19, 2011

Crochet Pattern: Favorite Beanie For A Lady

Of all the hats I've made I think I like this one the best.  It's fast and easy to make if you already know how to do the cross stitch.  If you don't know how to make a cross stitch there are several video tutorials on Youtube but you ought to be able to figure it out from the written directions below.

If you haven't already guessed, the cross stitch is one of my favorite stitches to add a lacy, textured effect to my projects.  It works well with ombre and solid yarn colors, and can be substituted for other stitches in almost any pattern you might be following.

For this beanie I used the cross stitch to give it a more lacy, lady-like effect and it looks marvelous on.  It can be worn as most beanies are,




or the bottom can be turned up to make a cuff so more of your hair shows and giving the beanie an entirely different look.

Good Beanie, Bad Photography, Really Bad Hair

Pattern For Favorite Beanie:
(Note:  beg ch 3 of each round counts as a dc)

Using an H hook and worsted weight yarn (I use Painted by Red Heart - it's a pleasantly soft yarn in beautiful colors that my photographs do not do justice)

ch 5, join with sl st to fifth ch from hook to form ring
Round 1:  ch 3, 11 dc inside ring, join w/ sl st to top of beg ch 3 (12 dc)
Round 2: ch 3, dc in same st as joining, 2 dc in each st around, join to top of beg ch 3 with sl st (24 dc)
Round 3: ch 3, dc in same st as joining, dc in next st, (2 dc in next st, dc in next st) repeat ( ) around, join to top of beg ch 3 with sl st (36 dc)
Round 4: ch 3, dc in same st as joining, dc in next 2 st, (2 dc in next st, 1 dc in each of next 2 st); repeat ( ) around, join with sl st to top of beg ch 3 (48 dc)
Round 5: ch 3, dc in same st as joining, dc in next 3 st, (2 dc in next st, 1 dc in each of next 3 st) repeat ( ) around, join to top of beg ch 3 w/ sl st (60 dc)
Round 6: ch 3, dc in same st as joining, dc in next 4 st, (2 dc in next st, 1 dc in each of next 4 st) repeat ( ) around, join to top of beg ch 3 w/ sl st (72 dc)
Round 7 - 10: ch 3, (dc in next st ) around, join to top of beg ch 3 w/ sl st (72 dc)
Round 11:  ch 3, (skip 2 st, tr in next, ch 1, tr in first skipped st)  repeat around, skipping last st and sl st into top of beg ch 3 to join.
Round 12: ch 3, dc in each tr and ch 1 sp around, sl st into top of beg ch 3 to join.
Round 13-16: repeat rounds 11-12 respectively

Round 17-18: ch 1, sc in each st around, join to first sc with sl st
Fasten off, weave in ends, enjoy!

Cross Stitch Up Close

When making the cross stitch, hold the stitches on the hook together as you're yo and drawing through, that way your stitches won't become super elongated when back tracking to the previous skipped stitches (the cross over stitch that makes the X).  Also, be careful about which tutorial videos you watch for this stitch.  Here's one that is for a dc cross stitch but it's done correctly with the same idea in mind.  With a dc cross stitch you use a dc instead of a tr and skip 1 stitch rather than 2.  I prefer the tr cross stitch, it's a much more dramatic effect and being the drama queen that I am, well, you get the idea.  heh, heh.

14 comments:

Snowcatcher said...

The cross stitch really adds a nice touch. But the caption on the photo (presumably of the top of your head) is what really tickled me today.

Renee said...

Cynthia, If you haven't already seen it... I posted a picture of my garland using your Five Point Motif on my projects page. I am ReneeSpear401 on Rav. Thanks for the pattern; the garland went to my younger brother for Christmas.

Renee :)

Cynthia said...

Thank you both, Renee, I haven't seen it but I'm going to check out your garland right now. I'm so happy you found a good use for the pattern! I hope your Christmas was wonderful! I made all my gifts this year, I can't believe I got them all done, but I only made hats and beanies so it wasn't too difficult. Hard to do much of anything these days - missing Mom on Christmas was really hard. I kept seeing things to make or buy for her and had to remind myself she's no longer with us. :( We did have a nice day anyway, thanks to Mike and his family. I know everyone really appreciates a handmade gift as I'm sure your brother did too. TTYL

Anna said...

I like it! I was not aware this stitch had a name. I just finished a scarf for my mother with this stitch. Now I have a hat pattern to match. Thank You! This means one less Christmas pattern to make for next year. YAY!

Cynthia said...

Anna,
YEA! It's always nice to have a hat to match a scarf, YEA! I did not crochet a lot this year, so people only got one or the other. Next year they'll probably get the matching "other" lol. Great idea. Now I too know what next year's gift will be and if they read this comment they will also know. ha . YEA!

Anonymous said...

I love this pattern, only I haven't been able to get the directions

Cynthia said...

@anonymous: If you tell me what it is about the directions you can't get, maybe I can help? Let me know, okay? Sorry I didn't see your comment till now, Blogger changed their dashboard format and I'm still getting used to it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this pattern. I'm using it to make chemo hats for the local hospital for Christmas Stocking. It was quick and easy and fit the bill so completely. Thank you again.

Cynthia said...

I'm glad you found the pattern useful. Thank you much for letting me know.

Amy said...

I was looking for ideas for a cute hat pattern and this turned out to be just what I was looking for. I changed the beginning of the pattern to do the original 12 doubles in an adjustable knot and it made a really nice tightly closed top. Thank you for the ideas :-)

Cynthia said...

I'm so glad you liked the pattern and found ways to make it even better. I am lame at making the adjustable knot so all my hats have the dreaded hole in the top. lol. At least it leaves a place for one hat wearer to blow off their steam. haha. One of these days I'll figure out the magic knot or whatever it's called. For some reason I can make it when I'm reading the howto but when I go to make it on my own? Forget about it! Probably just old age setting in.

Nancy said...

Made this hat tonight out of pink camo red heart yarn. I love it! Next time I would skip a row or two of the double crochets before the cross stitches to make the hat a little "shorter". Thanks for the pattern!

Cynthia said...

Hi Nancy, I'm glad you liked the way your hat turned out, if you go to my profile page and click on the "contact" or "email" link you can shoot me a pic of your finished project and I'll post it on the same page as the pattern so others can see what it looks like using a different yarn (and different set of hands making the hat lol) I'd love to see it, looking forward to it.
Cynthia

KathyFuller said...

Hey Cynthia...I'm doing the pattern, and I'm having a problem. When I'm doing the first row of crossed stitches, I am unable to figure out how to end and connect to the top of the chain 3. I end up with two dc left to make the crossed stitch, but it won't work out right. Is there a way you can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? I've done the crossed stitch row four times and have to rip it out every time. I did it the way I thought it was to be done, but when I did the next row of dc between the crossed stitch rows, I only end up with 70 dc instead of 72, which is what is in the row before the first crossed stitch row.

I hope this made sense, although I'm afraid it doesn't. LOL Thanks for any help.

Kathy